Saturday 9 May 2015

I had no influence on poll - Brand

Comedian and activist Russell Brand has admitted he is "just a bloke with a laptop and a bit of mouth" and had "no influence" on the outcome of the election after backing Ed Miliband in the week leading up to Labour's polling day collapse.
The outspoken television personality, who famously told Newsnight presenter Jeremy Paxman he did not vote and encouraged his fans to follow his example, reconsidered his position after an interview with the Opposition leader at his home in London last week.
Brand subsequently pledged his support to Labour - except in Brighton where he urged his followers to vote for Green party candidate Caroline Lucas.
But Labour endured a difficult night as the party was virtually wiped out in Scotland while David Cameron secured a majority in the Commons.
It prompted Mr Miliband to announce his resignation as party leader at lunchtime.
In a YouTube post today, recorded shortly after the resignations of Mr Miliband, Lib Dems' Nick Clegg and Ukip's Nigel Farage as leaders of their respective parties, Brand admitted his call to arms had little impact on the vote.
He said: " We got really into it. From a personal perspective, when we interviewed (Ed) Miliband we thought: 'Oh my God, we can probably influence the outcome of an election.'
"Now I think: 'Can't influence the outcome of an election'.
"When I done that interview with Paxman and said I don't vote, I think voting is pointless ... I wasn't the leader of the Don't Vote party, I was just another member of the Don't Vote party. It's not like I had any authority or power.
"For a moment I got caught up in some mad, The Thick Of It, wow, Ed Miliband's in my house."
After opening the YouTube post with a fake "resignation" in the style of the three political leaders which preceded it today, Brand joked: "I'm just a comedian - I'm just a bloke with a laptop and a bit of mouth."
He implored viewers to "be nice to one another" as "we 're going to have no shortage of meanness over the next five years".
He added: "My only regret in this is that I thought I could be involved.
"People are telling us we could make an influence, even if it's a small thing, it would be better if the independent living fund is not cancelled, if education isn't cut, if health isn't cut.
"The only thing I can look to positively is that change does happen. I think there is a possibility for a new type of politics."

No comments:

Post a Comment