Thursday 11 December 2014

Foreword


I love a good road trip. It’s a chance to jump into the car by myself with no particular destination, just enjoying the drive and whatever else comes my way. I’ve taken many of these rides during the course of my life, but they were all small-time compared to the one I’m on now – my spiritual road trip. This life-long excursion has just a single purpose: getting to know God through Jesus Christ.

 

My journey began in a small Iowa town over thirty years ago. I trekked all over Iowa, through most of the United States, and even across the Atlantic. I rose from the unknown valleys of Arena Football to play and win on the center stage of all American sports – the Super Bowl. Through my professional football and private life, I’ve experienced spectacular mountaintops, passed through low valleys, and narrowly escaped horrendous storms.

 

I’m not alone on this road trip; God’s right there with me. Of course, being the control freak that I am, I started off by assuming control of the driver’s wheel. I had my mind made up on where I was going to go and how I was going to get there. I didn’t need God’s help or want his company, so I quickly threw him into the trunk and started on my way. It didn’t take long, however, before I hit a few snags, had a blowout in the rear tire, and heard a loud rattle under the hood.

 

During these times of crisis, I’d rush to the trunk, let God out, and ask him to bail me out. Like a spare tire, I saw God as my backup plan, on call 24/7 for whenever I had trouble. I let him fix everything and, after things were fine and dandy again, I’d quickly stuff him back into the trunk.

 

But after I’d been travelling down the road solo for a while, the scenery became less exciting and the radio tunes grew stale. I started to feel lonely and empty inside and longed for something more. I’d routinely ask God to take a seat in the back and keep me company for a while; we even got to know each other a little bit, sang a few songs, and shared advice. But when he started to tell me where to go and what to do, I’d shove him right back into the trunk and carry on alone.

 

Eventually, as surroundings became less and less familiar, I discovered that I wasn’t able to rely on my instincts anymore. I kept getting lost and was unable to find my way to a life of meaning and peace. Realizing that I could use some navigation help after all, I invited God to join me in the front passenger seat as my co-pilot. I threw him the atlas, pointed to where I was going, and asked him to chart the way. I soon discovered that God had quite a knack for plotting a course. He always seemed to select the best route, even if it wasn’t the fastest or more convenient. Many times I didn’t agree with his routing, however, and simply chose to take off on my own. I was in the driver’s seat, after all. Yet, time after time, my plans never worked out. In the end, after 26 years of detours, diversions, and dead-ends, I finally realized that I was better off in the hands of God and decided to let him take over the wheel. So, I got out of the car, tossed the keys to God, and slid into the backseat. Yes, I sometimes act like a backseat driver, firing my thoughts and opinions at him, telling him what he should and shouldn’t do. But he always seems to look back at me with a smile, responding with grace and love.

 

Regardless of your situation or background, you’re at some point on your own spiritual road trip. Perhaps you’re well into the drive, or maybe you haven’t even started the engine. But wherever you are along the way, pull over at the next rest area and turn the page.

 

When you do, you’ll discover that Richard Wagner is waiting for you there. Rich will lead you on a journey to discover Christianity and what it’s all about. As you turn the pages, I promise you that there’ll be times you’ll laugh out loud at his offbeat approach, but the humour will never quench the truth and significance of his words.

 

So buckle up, grab the wheel, and set the cruise for the ride of your life. But I must warn you – by the time you’re done discovering what the Christian faith is all about, you might find yourself sliding into the backseat and tossing your keys to a new driver just like I did.

 

Kurt Warner
Super Bowl and NFL MVP

No comments:

Post a Comment