Thursday 21 January 2016

Winning swansong for Downton Abbey at National Television Awards

The final series of Downton Abbey has bowed out in style at the National Television Awards, winning one of the night's big categories.
The show was named best drama, beating shows like Doctor Who, Casualty and ITV's Broadchurch.
Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes called the shows win a "happy ending".
He said: "I love happy endings and this is a very happy ending, thank you."
The BBC's flagship baking show, The Great British Bake Off, took home the best challenge award, beating the likes of Bear Grylls' Mission Survive and The Apprentice.
Accepting the award, Bake Off judge Paul Hollywood said: "A huge thank you ... in fact we all started crying again down on the row."

Fellow judge Mary Berry interjected adding that it felt "strange" not to have the show's co-hosts, Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins, there with them.
The Entertainment programme award went to I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!.
EastEnders star Danny Dyer thanked his parents for "having a roll about in 1977 and conceiving me" as he gave his speech for winning the serial drama performance award.
Comedian Peter Kay dedicated his comedy award to Scottish comedian and presenter Billy Connolly.
Kay's show Car Share beat Benidorm, Birds Of A Feather and Not Going Out in the comedy category.
Kay said Connolly was his comedy hero, adding: "I just decided on a whim to do that ... he's looking at me like I've got two heads and I don't know what happens now ... I'm dedicating it to you but I'm going to keep it."
Poldark star Aidan Turner said he was "slightly confused" as he accepted his impact award.
The award references the great impact he has had on audiences in the BBC show playing Ross Poldark.
The Irish actor said he did not know he was nominated and was not sure why he was there.
He said: "I'm not sure why I'm here, I'm glad to be, and who knows, this might be the only one I get so I'm delighted."
He referenced the scenes of him scything topless in Poldark that caused a stir, saying: "I guess the scything scenes kind of speak for themselves, there's little to say there, but the rest of the cast, it's such a delight to be in this show, we have such talented people."
ITV's This Morning emerged as winners in the live magazine category, while former X Factor winner Shayne Ward cemented his successful move from singer to TV actor by winning the newcomer award.
Ward landed a part in popular soap Coronation Street playing Aidan Connor, half-brother to Carla (Alison King).
He said: "Who would've thought a singer from the X Factor would be on one of the most amazing shows like Coronation Street?"
Doctor Foster actress Suranne Jones was celebrating a double dose of good news at the award ceremony.
The 37-year-old debuted a baby bump as she took to the stage with her fellow co-stars to collect the new drama award.
It is the first child for Jones and Laurence Akers, who she married in 2014 after a whirlwind romance.
Fans expressed their happy surprise on Twitter, with one writing: "I had no idea Suranne Jones was pregnant! She looks beaut...".
Popular daytime TV show The Chase won the daytime TV award and was announced by Good Morning Britain duo Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid.
Morgan joked it was his first "date night" with Reid, who quipped back: "Date night for Piers, fright night for me."

TV duo Ant and Dec took home the most popular TV presenter award for the 15th year in a row.
Declan Donnelly described their win as "amazing", adding: "On the way in tonight people said to us does it get boring... of course it doesn't, if anything our gratitude has only grown over the years because you never know when you're going to get it again."
His TV co-host Anthony McPartlin said: "15 years in a row... it's getting a bit mental now but we thank you very much from the bottom of our hearts... let's get drunk tonight."
American actor Dustin Hoffman flew in from the US to present comedian Billy Connolly with his special recognition award.
Hoffman paid a touching tribute to Connolly , known affectionately in Scotland as The Big Yin.
"I'm delighted to be here tonight to pay tribute to a man whose work I've always admired and whose company I always enjoy," Hoffman said.
He said the essence of Connolly was "the unique capacity to reflect human behaviour and stand it on his head".
Hoffman directed the Scottish star in 2012's Quarter and said: "It's been my good fortune to direct him in a film and a great honour to count him as a friend."
An emotional Connolly was nearly upstaged by comedian Peter Kay who walked up on stage and handed over his award after Connolly referenced the fact that Kay had dedicated his earlier win to him, but did not give him the award.
"Peter Kay you should have given me that thing, cheapo. That guy dedicated it to me and then took it away, b******," joked Connolly.
Connolly said: "There's so many people, I have to thank my management, my agency, my parents and lovely daughters, who are here.
"To Dustin for putting me in his movie, thank you all from the bottom of my heart... I'd like to particularly thank British comedians, the standard of which is rising all the time... I love you all and thank you from the very much from the bottom of my heart."
Jones enjoyed her second win of the evening as she won the best drama performance award for Doctor Foster, in a tough category against the likes of David Tennant, Sheridan Smith and Aidan Turner.
Jones joked that she was supposed to be at an antenatal class instead of at the award ceremony.
"So if anyone from the group wants to email how to give birth or tips on labour," she joked, ending her speech saying: "Thank you, I'm going to take my shoes off, have a wonderful night."
Father Sid of the Siddiqui family was ushered off stage by his family as he offered a rambling thank you for Gogglebox's Factual Entertainment award.
He was joined by sons Baasit and Umar to accept the show's win for the second year in the row.
Umar said: "Watching TV is one of the easiest things anyone can do, but making a TV programme about people watching TV is considerably more difficult so I want to thank everyone behind the show for making it so heart-warming and relevant."
In his long speech, Sid added: "Thank you to all the Gogglebox families and each and every member of them because they bring a unique and quirky sense of humour to entertain everyone.
"We are humble folk and it is an honour to be here among the cream of the British television. You can tell I'm speechless."

No comments:

Post a Comment